Type of Intervention: Financial and Economic
Sectors Involved: Finance/Economy, Health
Level of Jurisdiction: Ontario
Lead People/Agency: Government of Ontario, Government of Canada
Overview: The Ontario government has enacted a $304 million investment into the province’s COVID-19 response. The funding is supported by Canada’s federal government. These dollars are allocated as follows:
(1) Increasing hospital capacity
(2) Supporting testing and screening through public health
(3) Providing increased supply of PPE and other supplies to front-line workers, first responders, and patients
(4) Supporting front-line workers in assessment centres
(5) Supporting long-term care homes for screening, staffing, and supplies
(6) Supporting residential facilities for developmental services, child and youth services, etc. to support staffing, PPE, transportation costs, etc.
(7) Protecting seniors in retirement homes through infection prevention and control measures and screening procedures
(8) Supporting Indigenous communities for transportation costs for health care providers and supply distribution
Full details here: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/ontario-enacts-declaration-of-emergency-to-protect-the-public.html
Type of Justification: No justification given
Evidence/Justification: There is no justification given for the allocation of this funding, other than that the funding enhances the province’s COVID-19 response.