Type of Intervention: Advisory, Financial Support
Sectors Involved: Executive Office, Finance/Economy, Health, Manufacturing and Industry
Level of Jurisdiction: Queensland
Lead People/Agency: JOINT STATEMENT
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick
Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development and Minister for Cross River Rail
The Honourable Kate Jones
Overview: 1. A Roundtable Industry Forum held at Parliament House on February 5, 2020, to update Queensland industry leaders on the coronavirus, and to hear how Government could assist.
2. Because of concerns on the impact to tourism economy, Queensland Government has actioned a domestic marketing campaign to give a shot-in-the-arm to local operators, and working with the Federal Government on a wider tourism package to support Queensland businesses in the months ahead.
3. The Queensland Government’s Economic Functional Recovery Group (EFRG) will be immediately convened to assist local government, business and industry implement response actions to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus.
4. Impacts predicted for tourism, education, food and agricultural exports, and beyond.
5. The first meeting of the EFRG would be held February 6, 2020 to discuss impacts on industry and gather intelligence on the effects of the virus outbreak.
6. Director General Rachel Hunter will chair the group, and the group will coordinate input from relevant departments, local government and industry bodies to develop longer-term recovery plans.
Standing Members of the Economic Functional Recovery Group are: Government members, Department of the Premier and Cabinet, Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Department of Employment, Small Business and Training, Department of Jobs and Small Business (Federal), Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy, Department of Innovation, Tourism Industry Development and the Commonwealth Games, Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs, Department of Transport and Main Roads, Queensland Treasury, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services, Queensland Police Service, Queensland Reconstruction Authority, Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority, Tourism and Events Queensland, Non-Government members, AgForce Queensland, Australian Bankers Association, Australian Industry Group, Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association, Aurizon, Certified Practicing Accountants (CPA) Australia, Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, Energy Queensland, GasFields Commission Queensland, GIVIT, Insurance Council of Australia, Local Government Association of Queensland, National Retail Association, North Queensland Bulk Ports, Queensland Farmers Federation, Queensland Resources Council, Queensland Sugar, Queensland Tourism Industry Council, Queensland Trucking Association, Institute of Chartered Accountants, Telstra, Ports Corporation (Qld-wide)
Type of Justification: Advice of INTERNAL government advisory committee or group, Perception of an increased threat to the country
Evidence/Justification: Formation of economic recovery group committee to address coronvirus impacts to various business and financial sectors, and make plan going forward. Actioning of a state (domestic) marketing campaign to help mitigate losses to the tourism industry in Queensland, and plans to work with Federal Government on wider tourism package.