Type of Intervention: Executive Order
Sectors Involved: Health, Civil Defence
Intervention Categories: Individual measures; Surveillance and response measures; Detecting and isolating cases; Tracing and quarantining contacts; Social and physical distancing measures; Adapting or closing schools; Adapting or closing offices, businesses, institutions, and operations; Gatherings, businesses, and services; International travel measures; Planning and strategy; Creating and using advisory groups or committees
Level of Jurisdiction: National
Lead People/Agency: Président de la république
Overview: Given the first case confirmed on March 11, 2020 and the multiplication of cases, the President of the Republic holds an extraordinary national security council on March 16 (16 cases confirmed on this date) and takes 13 emergency measures.
1. Suspension for a period of 15 days, renewable, starting at midnight on March 16, 2020, from the entry into Côte d’Ivoire of non-Ivorian travelers from countries with more than 100 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID- 19). Ivorian nationals and non-Ivorian permanent residents will be subject to compulsory quarantine for 14 days from their entry into Ivorian territory in centers requisitioned by the State;
2. Strengthening health control at air, sea and land borders;
3. Quarantine of suspected cases and contacts of patients in centers requisitioned by the State;
4. Closure of all preschool, elementary, secondary and higher education institutions for a period of 30 days from March 16, 2020 at midnight;
5. Respect for a distance of at least one (01) meter between people in supermarkets, scrub, restaurants, businesses, the airport area and public places;
6. Respect for personal, behavioral, water and food hygiene measures (hand washing with soap, application of hydro-alcoholic solutions, prohibition of manual greetings, hugs and hugs, strict ban on the consumption of bushmeat);
7. Closure of nightclubs, cinemas and places of entertainment for a period of 15 days renewable from March 18, 2020 at midnight;
8. Prohibition of population gatherings of more than 50 people for a period of 15 days renewable from mid March 18, 2020;
9. Suspension of all national and international sporting and cultural events; for a period of 15 days renewable from March 18, 2020 at midnight;
10. Opening of additional sites equipped with support in Abidjan, Abengourou, Aboisso, Bondoukou, Bouaké, Bouna, Daloa, Gagnoa, Korhogo, Man, Odienné, San Pédro and Yamoussoukro;
11. Total free diagnosis and management of all suspected and confirmed cases of COVID-19;
12. Strengthening the health security of health workers, research personnel, defense and security forces, airport zone agents and the port platform in the prevention of COVID-19;
13. Reactivation of departmental epidemic control committees. The Monitoring Committee was instructed by the National Security Council to monitor the implementation of these measures and their adaptation to the evolution of the situation. The President of the Republic, His Excellency Alassane Ouattara, urges all populations living in Côte d’Ivoire to be responsible for and strictly observe these public health measures. The President of the Republic invites the traditional authorities and the religious leaders to encourage the populations to scrupulously respect these measures aimed at stemming the spread of the virus in our country. The President of the Republic calls on Ivorians living abroad to comply with the provisions adopted by the governments of their country of residence.
Full details here: https://aip.ci/communique/communique-du-conseil-national-de-la-securite/
Type of Justification: Advice of INTERNAL government advisory committee or group
Source of Evidence or Justification: National – government
Evidence/Justification: Given the first case confirmed on March 11, 2020 and the multiplication of cases, the President of the Republic holds an extraordinary national security council on March 16 (16 cases confirmed on this date) and takes 13 emergency measures.