Peter Gluckman, New Zealand’s chief science adviser, offers his ten principles for building trust, influence, engagement and independence:
1. Maintain the trust of many.
2. Protect the independence of advice
3. Report to the top
4. Distinguish science for policy from policy for science.
5. Expect to inform policy, not make it.
6. Give science privilege as an input into policy.
7. Recognize the limits of science.
8. Act as a broker not an advocate.
9. Engage the scientific community.
10. Engage the policy community.
Read more here: http://bit.ly/1lInIwT