The African Chapter of INGSA thanks all those who made an effort to contribute to the 2019 INGSA-Africa Essay Competition. The quality of the works presented was very good, and the final decision on the winners was not easy.
INGSA-Africa is proud to offer a prize of €300 and a diploma to the best essays. You can read the winning abstracts below; over the next few months we will be sharing and promoting the full articles.
It is a pleasure to announce the winners of the Essay Contest:
- A Study to Provide Basis for Good Forest Governance in Government Gazetted Forest Reserves in the Southwest Nigeria
- Nigeria – Busuyi Olasina AGBEJA (Ph.D.), Faculty of Renewable Natural Resources, University of Ibadan.
- Establish ‘A Forum for Science-Policy Interface in Ethiopia’
- Ethiopia – Project Team: Dr. Azeb Assefa, Ethiopian Civil Service University; Mrs. Mekdes Adane, Saint Merry University; Dr. Lemma Lessa, Addis Ababa University; Dr. Hailekiros Sibhato, Mekelle University.
- The state of science advice in policy-making in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia – Zenebe Mekonnen, Ethiopian Environment and Forest Research Institute.
- State of science advice to governments in African countries: Case study of the National Assembly of Nigeria
- Nigeria – Oluwasola E. Omoju, National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies (NILDS), National Assembly, Abuja.
- Investigating the Capacity of Researchers to Disseminate Scientific Advice to Government on Environmental Policymaking in Nigeria: A Case Study of the University of Lagos, Nigeria
- Nigeria – Temitope Olawunmi Sogbanmu, PhD. Ecotoxicology and Conservation Unit, Faculty of Science, University of Lagos.
- Proposal for activity for the dissemination of the scientific council (French and English)
- Cameroon – MAKOUDEM TENE Marienne
- Impact of evidence-based science advice to government: Evidence from the health section in South Africa
- South Africa – Tozama Qwebani; Pradeep Kumar; and Adeyemi Oladapo Aremu – Members of South African Young Academy of Science, SAYAS
- Use of Scientific Evidence in the Formulation and Execution of Public Policies in Nigeria
- Nigeria – Olasoji Fagbola
Congratulations to all the winners. As part of their prize, all winners have been invited to the forthcoming INGSA Continental Capacity Building Workshop in South Africa in July, to enable them make formal presentations on their submissions.